12 January 2012

What's for Dinner?

I've recently been pinning like crazy and looking around the internet for new "healthy" recipes. I found this one for garden vegetable soup on Dr. Oz's website. It looked good, so I thought I'd give it whirl and I made it last night for dinner. However, I didn't have all the ingredients on hand so I made a few alterations as I went along {the changes I made are in purple print below}.



Garden Vegetable Soup

1/2 cup carrots, sliced
1/4 cup onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced (I only had Garlic powder, so I used that)
3 cups fat-free beef, chicken or vegetable broth 
(I used about 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth)
1 cup green cabbage, diced 
(I didn't have any cabbage on hand - So I added a stalk of celery)
1 cup spinach, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup zucchini, diced (I didn't have zucchini either, so i added so broccoli that i had on hand)
1 cup white kidney beans - i added these for some protein 

Directions:
1. Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat.
2. Add carrot, onion, and Garlic in sauce pan (Since i added a stalk of celery this is where i added it in). Saute for 5 min. until veggies soften. 


3. Then add the broth, spinach, (cabbage - if you use), tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt (I also added the kidney beans here). Bring to a boil.



4. reduce heat and simmer for 15 min. then add zucchini (this is where I added the broccoli since I didn't have zucchini) and cook 3-4 min. longer. 
5. Enjoy! 

(serves 6)


With the soup we had fresh bread that I had made in the bread maker that morning. The soup ended up being quite yummy. It was light and healthy and didn't take long to make at all. 
Delish! 


I've linked today's recipe up here:





2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I should make bread tonight

    Soup looks yummy...except for the beans ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't made bread in the bread maker (or period) in forever! It was so good, and I'm sure it's much healthier too. Going to try and do it more often!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by & taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!