19 September 2012

A DIY For Your Day

Today I thought I'd share with you an inexpensive and quick DIY piece of "art". 

Alright, I don't know about you, but I have seen so many pins on Pinterest about blowing up photos/making your own subway art and getting them printed off on engineer paper - do you know what I'm talking about??

THIS is the original pin I first saw regarding this type of project. Ever since I saw it I have been wanting to make my own subway art, because let's face it: while the ones in the stores are great...#1 - when you can find them, they don't always say what you'd like them to say and #2 - they can sometimes (depending on the ones you find) not be worth the price tag. The project looked relatively easy so I thought I'd give it a try!

Instead of starting off with the subway art first I thought I'd start a little smaller and do a "trial". There's also the possibility that I'm going to be creating some subway art to go in the cafe at our church - so yes, trying it out first is a must {I have to know what I'm doing, right?}.
 For my smaller trial of "subway art" I decided to pick a small phrase.
Call me cheesy but I've been liking this particular phrase lately:
young house love
{by clicking on the link above you can see how that piece was transformed}

 By following the instructions for the subway art I was able to create this:





Here's a look at what I did:

1. I took a piece of art {that I really no longer cared for} that I had laying around the house.

2. I then took some spray paint that I had tucked away from another project and painted the edges of the piece {I went with white}. And yes, photo #1 and photo #2 below are actually different pieces of art that I have. I forgot to take a picture before I spray painted. But you get the idea. All I really needed to spray paint were the outside edges of the frame.

3. Next I went to the site PicMonkey to create my "art". All this entailed was (a) clicking on the "edit photo" button and (b) picking a photo from my own personal album on my computer and uploading it to the site {I chose a random photo - so any photo should work}. The next step: hit the "overlay" button and select "geometric". Then select the rectangle {or square} overlay and it will appear on your photo. Leave it black and then stretch it out to cover the WHOLE photo. 
Once the overlay is covering up your photo {so that you can no longer see your photo} it's time to add your text. Simply select the "text" button on the sidebar. Next, choose the font you want and simply "add text". Make sure you choose white for the colour of your text. Play around with the size and placement of your text until you have it how you want it. Once you are happy with your "art" select the "save" button and save your work to your computer. 

4. I then had my "photo" printed off at Walmart as an 11x14 - this was the largest size I could choose - plus it was about the size I needed to fit to my frame. I was a bit nervous with how it would turn out. I was uncertain if the photo would be stretched or what not, but it turned out perfectly! To get it printed off at Walmart it cost under $6! 
I then trimmed the edges a little so that it fit nice and snug inside the frame.

*What happened to the engineer print that you can apparently get done at Staples you ask?? Well I tried that...or I guess Seth did. He took the picture in for me to get printed off as an engineer print and he said the lady looked at him like he had 3 heads. He tried to explain to her about printing it off so it could be "hodge podged" onto a frame etc. and she apparently continued t look at him the same. I may try going to staples again and seeing if they do it - maybe ours just doesn't - but maybe she was a new girl working there and just didn't know. Who knows...so Walmart was my back-up. The only thing is, Walmart {from what I could tell online} couldn't make it any larger than 11x14 - so that wouldn't really work if you wanted large subway art.*

5. Time to get out the Mod Podge. I then put a layer of Mod Podge on top of the frame/art {I used a paint sponge - you could use a paint brush} and then took my photo and laid it on top. The next step is an important one and one that I didn't do very well. Make sure to flatten the photo out and get all the air out from underneath. I DID this step, but should have done it more than once - I ended up with a few air bubbles. It's only semi-noticeable, but I definitely notice it and it bothers me.
So flatten, flatten, flatten!
I then let it fully dry before putting two coats of Mod Podge on top. Again, letting the Mod Podge fully dry between coats. Make sure to go just past the edges of your photo so that it "seals".

The Mod Podge looks like this when it's wet but dries clear in the end.



After the second top coat was completely dry it was ready to be put on the wall!
I had all the supplies for this project except for the photo itself that I needed printed off. So all in all the whole thing cost me just under $6! A nice inexpensive way add some art to your home. 


I haven't quite decided where to hang this yet, but when I do I'll be sure to share with you! 

Let me know if you try making your own, I'd love to see it!


Linking up to:

2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing idea - I actually have a big old frame that I have no idea what to do with and don't like the painting inside it, so something like this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - if you do I would love to see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by & taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!