Foodie Friday: Burritos, Cilantro Lime Rice & Baltimore



I mentioned here that we were able to explore the DC area for our vacation back in August. We weren't very far away from Baltimore so one night we decided to head to the waterfront to explore and have dinner. Have you been? There's lots of restaurants, shops, etc. around. There's also an aquarium right there too. It was my first time being there and I really enjoyed checking it out. We didn't really venture away from the waterfront as there was lots to take in. There was also baseball game that night so the place was buzzing with people.



It was so busy that all the restaurants had rather long wait times. Cheesecake Factory, over an hour. Hard Rock Cafe, over an hour. And so on. We were so hungry that we just needed something. Then we stumbled upon a place called Chipotle. Neither of us had been. The line was long but appeared to be moving fast. The menu was easy: tacos, burritos & salads. Perfect. We both decided on a burrito. I had chicken. One bite and I was seriously hooked. With each bite I was saying "this is so good!" {ask Seth, he'll tell you}. Dear land, that burrito. My favourite part? I think the cilantro lime rice. And maybe the bag...


During our days of wandering around in DC we saw Chipotle everywhere. We liked it so much we ate there a second time on our trip. The second time, I had a burrito bowl. 

Ever since we got home I've been dreaming of their burrito & the cilantro lime rice. I even googled it to see where the closest one is and  *I think* the closest one is in Portland, Maine. Six hour drive, anyone? Since that isn't exactly do-able when you have a burrito craving, I thought it'd be a good idea for us to make our own. I'd never actually made burritos before but figured they must be just as easy as tacos, and cilantro lime rice sounded pretty straight forward. So this week I decided to give it a whirl.

The result? Quite delish, if I do say so myself. 
Interested? Here's what you'll need to do to create your own...

Cilantro Lime Rice

1 Lime
6 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro
2 Cups of Basmati Rice {or any rice of your choosing}
6 Tsp Vegetable oil

Cook your two cups of rice according to pkg directions. We have a rice cooker, so I threw my rice in there. Once your rice is cooked transfer to a bowl. Next mix in the oil, chopped cilantro & the juice of 1 lime. That's it.

*Note: I found the recipe for cilantro lime rice here. The above is doubled from the original because I knew I wanted leftovers. You can easily half the recipe above or double to meet the needs of your family.

Chicken Burritos

While the rice is cooking prepare your burrito meat. For us it was chicken. 
All I did was cut 2 large chicken breasts into cubes and prepared it according to a PC burrito seasoning packet I bought at the grocery store. Easy.

Next prepare your toppings. For us they included: Grated cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream & black beans. 

Finally, create your burrito! On top of a tortilla {we used whole wheat} pile your cilantro lime rice, chicken & toppings of your choice. Roll up & enjoy!

Oh, and if you want a burrito bowl just pile everything together in a bowl minus the tortilla.
It's that easy.


So tell me. Are you a burrito fan? Been to Chipotle?

On another note, after almost 3 weeks of being in the new place they finally came and hooked our internet up yesterday! So glad to be connected again.

Happy weekending! 

Comments