Baked Mac & Cheese


'Tis the season for comfort food. At least in my books! The weather is getting cooler & that means I am ready to make casseroles and put the slow cooker to good use. Earlier this week I made one of my all time favourite comfort foods: baked mac & cheese. I found the recipe on the internet long before Pinterest so I don't really know where it came from now. All I know is that is is gooooood! I don't make it very often, but when I do we enjoy it until the last bite.


Ready for the recipe? 


Baked Macaroni & Cheese

4 Tbsp {1/2 stick} Unsalted Butter + more for baking dish
Salt & Pepper
3 Cups of Macaroni
2 {12oz} Cans Evaporated Milk
1/3 Cup Milk 
2 Eggs
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
2 {8oz} Packages Extra Sharp Cheddar {grated}
1 {8oz} Package Monterey Jack Cheese {grated}
Paprika for Sprinkling 

1. Preheat oven to 375 {I usually just do 350}. Butter a 13x9 glass baking dish & set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then add salt & macaroni. Cook until al dente, drain & then return to pot. Add butter and stir until melted and pasta is coated. Set aside.

2. Next whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk & eggs. Shake in some salt and pepper {about 1/2 tsp each} & the garlic powder. Mix well.

3. Place 1/3 macaroni in an even layer in the bottom of baking dish. Cover evenly with 1/3 of grated cheeses.  Repeat with the remaining macaroni & cheese. Once last layer is complete with cheese on top pour milk mixture evenly over cheese and macaroni & sprinkle with paprika.

4. Bake until top layer is lightly browned, depending on your oven 35-45min.
Let stand 10 min before serving & enjoy!


There you have it. The perfect comfort food {and MUCH better than the boxed stuff}! This does make a good amount, so if you're not wanting so much you could easily half the recipe or make it and then freeze a portion. I've done this before and it freezes well. Plus, it reheats well if you want leftovers for part of the week!

Are you a mac & cheese fan? If you try it out this weekend you'll have to let me know. 
Happy Weekending!


*Linked to: live laugh rowe

Comments

  1. YUM! Love me some mac and cheese. We have to go dairy-free around our household these days (for baby H) but when I cheat, this is one of my first and most favorite dishes! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by & taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!