Basil, Bacon & Beet Green Quiche


A few weeks back we started receiving our local produce packs again. It's something we signed up for last summer and we decided to do it again this summer (and into the fall). It's great to receive fresh produce each week and the fact that it's local makes it that much better.

I mentioned here that we had an abundance of beet greens and I wasn't too sure what to do with them all. And while I have yet to make the pesto that looked so good, I did whip up a delicious quiche! I basically took aspects from a whole bunch of different quiche recipes and this is what I came up with. We ate it up no problem and E even enjoyed it!




Basil, Bacon & Beet Green Quiche

- 1 Cup of milk
- 6 Eggs
- 4-5 Slices of bacon (cooked & chopped into smaller pieces)
- 1 1/2 Cups chopped beet greens
- 1 Cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 Medium leaves of fresh basil chopped (less or more to your preference)
- 1 Clove of garlic - I had garlic scapes on hand from our produce box & chopped up approximately 1 tbsp worth - so add however much or little garlic to your pleasing!
- Salt & Pepper

*This is a crustless quiche*

To make:

  1. Whisk together milk and eggs.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
  3. Grease a pie plate and pour in mixture.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50min (uncovered) or until browned and cooked through completely (check the centre to be sure it's no longer jiggly & a knife comes out clean to be sure it is set).


And that's it. So easy and extremely tasty! I'm guessing swiss chard or kale would make great substitutes and some time I think I'll try making this with ground sausage.

I'd love to hear what tasty things you like to whip up using beet greens!




Comments