Overnight Steel Cut Oats

It's winter, it's cold, and I've jumped back on the oatmeal train. Not to mention, I've found a really quick & convenient way to make steel cut oats that will last us a good part of the week. It takes very little time and I'm all about that.


Here's how I make overnight steel cut oats:

- In a large pot add & melt 1 tsp of oil or butter (I use coconut oil).
- Once oil is melted, add in 2 cups of steel cut oats. Stir for a few min to lightly "toast".
- Add 5 cups of water & bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil turn off the burner.
- *Optional: Next stir in 1 tsp vanilla & 1/2 tsp cinnamon, sometimes I throw in some nutmeg too. 
- Lastly, put the cover on the pot and leave to sit overnight.
- In the morning simply divide into bowls, warm in microwave & then add the toppings of your choice! Here are some I like.

*Note: You could completely skip the "toasting of the oats" (the first couple steps), and just add the water and oatmeal to the pot and bring to a boil! Sometimes I do this & it takes even less time ;)

Refrigerate the remainder of the oats & eat the rest of the week! Much easier than digging out the pot each morning to make steel cut oats! 

This recipe could easily be halved or doubled depending on the size of your family. 




I found/adapted the above recipe slightly from here & here.


And if you're looking for some ways to top your oatmeal check out this post:



Comments