Three Things to do This Weekend



Is it just me, or is January flying?! We're on our third weekend of tackling our new year's list of organizing & purging & cleaning. If you're just joining in, you can catch up on the past two weeks here & here. Instead of getting overwhelmed by all the things we want to do this time of year, namely: organize & clean all the things! (you know the drill), I thought I'd do us all a favour and break up some tasks for us all to attempt each weekend in January. You can join in with the ones I'm doing OR pick your own "three things". The main things is, just doing a few tasks at a time. As much as we'd like everything to be done in one weekend, it's just not reality.

So, here's what I'm working away at this weekend:



1. Books & Magazines - Books. This may not be a problem for you, and to be honest, the majority of our books are in storage at the moment. BUT, books are great to go through. Pick and chose the ones you really.can't.live.without & the ones that you reference back to again and again. Other than that, donate, sell, or swap the rest. I like the idea of swapping books with friends. Give a book, for a book, and then just continue passing books down the line. Fun right? Because, what is the likelihood you're going to read all your books again.

Magazines. If you're a magazine person, like me (Ok, confession: I'm kind of a magazine hoarder), it's time to recycle, donate, or whatever. Just get them out. Decor & home magazines are the target for me. When we moved to where we are now I did a purge. Because really, did I want to put those magazines in boxes and move them? Ok, kind of. To compromise, I quickly flipped through some (the ones with the covers I liked most, ha!) to make sure there weren't any pages I wanted to rip out and save, but then I got rid of a bunch. The time has come to purge again. The less things we have to move this next time, the better.


***Now, depending on how many people you have in your home, and the amount of books/magazine you all have, this one task alone could be overwhelming. Only you know. So, if you have to break it up, do it that way. Don't do it all this weekend. If all books need to be attended to, start with your books first, then move on to kids, etc.

2. Under the Kitchen Sink - It's dark, things collect, and sometimes I can't find the garbage bags. We mainly keep cleaners, rags, garbage bags & dish soap/dishwasher soap under the kitchen sink. Why is it so cluttered?? Time to organize.

3. The dreaded Tupperware Drawer/Cupboard - I feel like this is a problem for all? Maybe not, but everyone I talk to seems to have a hard time finding the correct cover for a container. It's like the dryer eating socks. Where do they go?!? So, if you have a tupperware cupboard and it's not in order, it's time to clean it out. Recycle or chuck pieces that don't have a mate and/or aren't in great condition. And recycle those extra containers you save (you know, the plastic yogurt containers etc.)...you only need so many. I always keep a few for random projects etc. because sometimes you just need a container that you don't care about, you know? Once you're done going through what you have, try and create a little system that works for you and is helpful when it comes to finding matching pieces.

Lastly, don't forget to do something fun & restful this weekend!

I'm hoping to start at some of this today! What are you working on this weekend?

Happy Weekending!




Comments