22 September 2017

Nursery & Toddler Room Progress + A DIY

If you've been following along with me on Instagram & my Insta stories, you may know that we've been knee deep painting the upstairs of our new home (finally!). I'm happy to report that the upstairs (minus our bedroom) is done! We have to do a few touch ups here and there, but overall it's painted and it's made such a huge difference.

One room in particular that is a big improvement is E's room, which she will eventually share with her baby brother.



If you remember, when we moved in, the walls in this room were a magenta/fuchsia pink:


Below is a truer to colour photo of what we were working with. You'll also notice the trim didn't match and neither did the doors (not pictured). So all the trim, closets, and doors were painted as well.


Now the walls are painted a nice light gray & the trim and doors all got a refresh with white. We went with Benjamin Moore's Gray Owl for the walls (it's throughout our whole upstairs) and Dove White for the doors and trim. It's SO much brighter in the space and a lot easier on the eyes.

Another thing we can check off the list is moving E into her big girl bed! We tried to keep the cost to a minimum for the bed frame and we ended up finding one at a yard sale for $25. Sold! We scooped it up, brought it home & I gave it a little makeover with some FAT Paint. I used the colour "Warm White" & then gave it a coat of clear wax to finish it off.


Overall, the bed frame was in great shape with minimal marks. It was just more of a yellow wood tone than I liked. That's where the paint came in. I will say, painting spindles is my least favourite thing, and I had to do three coats to get the coverage I wanted. But, in the end, I'm really pleased with how it came out. Not to mention, it was so fun to see the excitement on E's face when we put her big girl bed together! It made the time and effort totally worth it.


There's a lot going on in this room since we're trying to make it work for both a baby and a toddler. Needless to say, I'm trying to make it function as best as possible and use space wisely.

You'll see we left the crib up for baby boy (why bother taking it down to just set it back up in a few months?). We have E's original dresser from when we created her nursery (which they'll have to share), and (currently) jammed at the end of the bed we have a rocker. The rocker will more than likely leave the room at some point. For starters, it's now a little too match-y match with the walls (I guess the colour saga of the rocker continues), it's annoyingly difficult to access the closet, and it just seems to take up too much space when placed in front of the window.




There's definitely more that needs & that I want to be done in the space. A few things:

- I'd like to get some things on the walls, I'm just having hard time deciding. I don't want the room to be overly "girl" or "boy". I want it to be something that works for both.

- It'd be nice to swap out the curtains at some point. They aren't my favourite, but they are what were here when we moved in. So I'm keeping my eyes open for something else.

- The closet needs to be organized to work for both kids & toys. Luckily it's a double closet, I just need to figure out how to use the space to the max.

- I'm also trying to think of a type of mobile to DIY for baby boy that would go well in the space. I loved this one I made for E.

So that's where we are with the nursery/toddler bedroom. I'll share more as we go and get things checked off the list. I'm just SO happy to have some progress in the space!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by & taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!