Family Room / Playroom Inspiration

The last month or so I've really had the itch to get our family room/playroom (the bonus space in our basement) in order. It has basically sat untouched since we've moved in and we are ready to get the ball rolling and use it to it's fullest potential. 

That's not to say we haven't been using it. We have. We're just wanting to take it to the next level. In the last few months we've moved a great majority of the toys downstairs and our kids love to play down there. Right now though, the only piece of furniture we have for the space is a rocking chair. Not exactly ideal, but it's something.

Every time I'm down there with the kids I find myself dreaming and scheming of what I'd like to do with the space and the ways it would be nice to update. I was finally able to put together an inspiration board of all the ideas floating round in my head and these are things that I keep envisioning:


And, here's the current state of our basement: 


Well, it's a peek at the main living area. Other than toys there's not much happening. Ha! Our basement, surprisingly, gets a good amount of natural light but it's still dark feeling. Hopefully when we're all done it'll feel even brighter, cozier, and more inviting. Like, more-than-one-seat inviting!

Here's what we're hoping to start picking away at in the very near future:

  • Paint the walls - White!
  • Seating - We're definitely hoping to get a sofa.
  • New lighting - We have two completely different light fixtures right beside each other, so new lights are on the list. 
  • Toy storage - This is clearly a must.
  • A rug - Our floors are cold - good in the summer, not so great for winter!
  • Paint the rocking chair - I'd like to give a little update to the piece of furniture we do have - I'm thinking of adding a bit of colour and I'm gravitating towards green!
  • Photos/Art on the walls

This won't happen all at once. But, like I said, it's something that we're hoping to start picking away at very soon. We're trying to be budget conscious (obviously) and resourceful. These last couple of months I've also been trying to really filter out things we don't need, to make space to breathe, and see what we really do need.

When wanting to change things up in your home it's always great to have a jumping off point, gather inspiration, and make lists! You have to start somewhere and by gathering ideas and putting them down on paper/creating an inspiration board it helps with the overall vision. I know for me, it's just the motivation I need to get started. I'm kind of hoping we paint the walls first because I don't know how much longer I can stand that yellow!

What home projects have you been dreaming & scheming about?

Comments