A Chaos Free(ish) Christmas

I love, love, love, the Christmas season. I always look forward to decorating, and the snow (yes, I believe there should be snow at Christmas!), the cozy, the family, the friends, the lights, the reason why we celebrate, everything about it, really. However, a few weeks ago as I was seeing all the Christmas posts (both on Instagram & blogs) I was starting to feel like I was behind and running out of time. I had to take a step back and I realized how absolutely ridiculous I was for thinking that. When I started feeling like this it wasn't even mid-November yet. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like everyone on the "gram" decorated for Christmas while their kids were out trick-or-treating!? No?


I love seeing all the ideas, recipes, and decorating but, it was making me stress a bit and that's just plain silly. No.Need.To.Panic. 

These are a few things I've been trying to remind myself of when the panic & chaos tries to creep in. Maybe you need the reminders to? Disclaimer: I'm not promising no chaos, maybe just a little less...

_______________________________________

Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. Decide what works best for you and your family. There are so many great ideas, and events, and ideas, and traditions, and ideas, floating around this time of year (or let's be real, always) that it can get a little overwhelming. Trying to do it all isn't feasible, and if it is there's a good chance you're not having any fun while you're doing it all. So be choosy. Decide what works and what doesn't, what's possible and what's just going to stress you out. Say no if you have to, and don't feel bad about it. What works for one family may not work for yours and that's ok. I think we all know this, but it's easy to get caught up in all. the. things.

Be present where you are. As with any time of year, it's easy be somewhere and/or with people and not actually "be" there. Whether it's work, the long to-do list, or just the difficulties of life, make an effort to be present where you are. Turn off the notifications, put down the phone, shut what you absolutely can out. Do the Christmas things, go to the parties and dinners, decorate, have the family time, and actually be there. The things you do choose to do and participate in, actually participate in. The world will survive a couple of hours while you participate in the things of the season with your family & friends.

It's not about the stuff. Again, I think we all know this, but it's easy for this to creep in on all of us this time of year. We're a highly driven consuming society. The deals & sales, and ads & lists. Stuff is in our face everywhere. The world is constantly telling us what we "need", our kids come home and tell us their friends have such and such and I need it too. The truth of it is, we probably don't need anymore stuff.

Remember why we celebrate. This is definitely the most important one on the list for our family. In the crazy and chaos that this time of year can quickly bring, it's important to remember why we're celebrating in the first place. It's a good reminder that all the excess doesn't really matter. Our primary reason for celebrating is the birth of a King all those years ago. He's the gift, He's the reason. It doesn't mean all the other stuff this time of year is wrong or bad, but when it clouds and overshadows why we're celebrating we've lost sight of this time of year.
_______________________________________

These are probably obvious, but they are good reminders for this season. It's always good to set the tone, and values for you and your family this time of year. So, as Christmas inches closer, just remember that you don't have to set your pace to everyone else's. It's ok to do what works for you and your family.


I hope you all have fun enjoying this season! This year we have a 4 1/2 yr old and a 2 yr old and it's already proving to be extra fun. Happy December!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by & taking the time to comment! I love hearing from you!