Favourite House Plants

I've always had a plant or two in our home. Replaced them when they've died. Passed them on to friends when we've moved. You get the idea. But, over the past 3 years I've really become a huge house plant fan. I'm not a house plant hoarder. At least I don't think so. Nearing crazy plant lady? Maybe.


My collection has definitely grown so I thought it would be fun to share what plants we currently have in our home, how I care for them (FYI I'm no expert), and how long I've had them. I'm actually pretty proud of myself, as many pictured here have been around for quite a while. Some definitely need repotting and now that stores have been reopening here (#pandemicproblems) I have to go grab some bigger pots. Until then, here's a look at the different plants from around our home!

Orchid - This plant was a gift and I was almost certain I would end up killing it. But, it's going on 3 years of having it and I report that it's been relatively easy to keep alive! When it was given to me it was blooming and since I've had it it's bloomed 3 or 4 other times! I literally only water it once a week (confession: sometimes I miss a week!) with 3 ice cubes as per the instructions. Then when all the blooms fall off I cut the stem down to the base and another one will grow! 

Croton - This sits on the shelf in our entryway where there is lots of light. I find it does need to be watered at least once a week. We've only had this since maybe March, but so far so good! One thing I like about this plant is the leaf size and the colour variation!

Snake Plant - As you can see we have two of these. The bigger one we just got about 4 months ago and the smaller one we've had for about 2 years (it was much smaller when I bought it). I honestly think snake plants are my favourite because they are really easy to grow! I also just love the overall look of them. I probably water them twice a month or so and, when I do, I don't drench them because they can easily be over watered. They just need a bit. 

Goldfish Plant - At least I think that's what this plant is. The summer we moved into our current home we were out at yard sales and someone had put some plants on the side of the road for free. They were in little styrofoam cups - it was just itty bitty (clearly taken from an overgrown plant that needed a trim). Since we had just moved and we didn't have any plants I grabbed one and it's still around! It desperately needs to be repotted - I am hoping it will start doing better once that happens. Also, to be completely honest, I thought I killed this plant on more than one occasion. Thankfully I've been able to bring it back to life each time!


Aloe - We have a couple aloe plants around our house and they are quite easy to care for as well! I probably water them once a week or so. 

Succulents - As you can see we have a variety of these: jade, haworthia & rose, hobbit jade. I find them difficult to kill (ha!) so these may be a good plant to start with if you're not currently a plant person. My kids did rip some of the leaves off the rose succulent, so if it dies I'll blame it on them! 

We've had the jade plant since we moved in. It was the first plant I bought for our new home, so it's just over 3 years old. It was quite small when I first got it and now it's such a good size! I hope it's one that I have for a long time. The hobbit jade I've had for a couple of years as well. It's seen better days but it's still hanging on, so I'll count that as a win!

You really don't want to over water succulents. If I'm guessing it's about every two weeks that I water them. I just wait until the soil is good and dry. 

Pearls & Jade Pothos - I think. I think that's what this plant is called. I really couldn't tell you. But from my internet research that's what it looks like! So that's what we're going with. I got this one about 4 months ago too, and I love the green/yellow colour variation of it!

*Hoping I got all the names right! I took stickers off some and do not remember the names. So if I got any wrong and you know what they are, let me know! 


Why do I love having plants in our home? I love the pop of life & green they add to a space. They are also great for adding texture to a room. Plus, there's the added benefit that house plants help to improve air quality (or so they say!). And I've heard that the snake plant is the best for this!

My least favourite thing about having house plants? Dusting them. Ha! However, this is important to do as it helps with their growth and keeps them more vibrant.
 
My tips? Pay attention to the guide your house plants come with! This is there to help. Generally, house plants will come with a sticker or tag that say how much sunlight is needed, water, etc. So, if you have to, stuff their "instruction guide" into an envelope and place it somewhere you can refer back to if needed. Read about them and do your research. 

Also, sometimes it's a trial and error thing. You may have to move plants around in your home until you find their "happy" spot. And sometimes a simple repotting into a pot the next size up will make them thrive better.


If you don't think you have a green thumb, but you'd like some plants to add to the atmosphere of your home I'd suggest maybe starting with a succulent or a snake plant. I really find these to be relatively easy to keep alive. 

So, that's our current collection of plants that are all around our home. I would love to hear what plants you have in your home and what ones are your favourite! Do tell!

Comments