Downstairs Family Room / Playroom Update

We've finally made some updates & changes to our downstairs family room / playroom. It looks so much better than it did before! If you missed it, go back to this post and you can read a little bit more about the inspiration for the space. 


One thing we stared off with first (other than the rug), was paint. I knew the room needed to be brighter and I wanted a much cleaner look (#sorrynotsorry if you love yellow). White was the obvious choice. The closer I looked at it, I noticed the trim also needed a refresh. We hadn't done any painting in this space - it's how it was when we moved in two years ago. Since I still had some of the trim paint we used for the upstairs of our house I painted it with that - Benjamin Moore's "White Dove". For the walls I went with Sherwin Williams "Alabaster". I found it to be not too yellow, and not too grey. At least for this space, if that makes sense.  Anyways, I love how it turned out and am really happy with the look. Here's a reminder of the before:



We were also able to pick up a unit for toy storage. Let me just say I was very excited. Ha! The toy situation was getting a bit crazy. We had a toy box before, but it just wasn't cutting it. We will be keeping the toy box for storage as well (it was such a great yard sale find a couple years ago!), and it may double as our "coffee table" for the time being. Trying to use what we have and make things work.


And in regards to the toy situation, let's just say there's some decluttering and purging happening. So, the organizing is coming...slowly. 

Another thing I added was a little place for the kids to display their art. With some eye hooks, twine, and clothes pins it was super simple to pop up on the wall and we can switch things out easily. Plus, E loves having her art on display and is super proud of it.  



We're currently on the hunt for a sofa for the space. I'm hoping we'll get/find something soon. Right now there's really no seating in here other than a rocking chair and the floor. It's ok for the moment, but it'll be nice to get something a bit more comfortable!

It feels so good to check things off the list:
  • Paint the walls - White! (√ check)
  • Seating - We're definitely hoping to get a sofa. (next on the list)
  • New lighting - We have two completely different light fixtures right beside each other, so new lights are on the list. 
  • Toy storage - This is clearly a must. (√ check)
  • A rug - Our floors are cold - good in the summer, not so great for winter! (√ check)
  • Paint the rocking chair - I'd like to give a little update to the piece of furniture we do have - I'm thinking of adding a bit of colour and I'm gravitating towards green!
  • Photos/Art on the walls (working on this)
I guess you could say this space has been one of our summer projects. Stay tuned for more updates, hopefully in the not so distant future :) 

I'd love to hear what you've been working away at this summer!

Comments